Proteus 2D (code name) is an unfinished project I worked on in 2014 and 2015. It is about exploring in a world full of plants and animals interacting with each other and with the player. One of the goals was to have all audio and visual assets procedurally synthesised in real-time. Proteus (2013), the game by Ed Key and David Kanaga was a big influence on this project.
Some of the work I did includes:
- Real-time audio synthesis using Wwise plugins. Most of these sounds were never captured, but some of them ended up being used for later projects, like P3D and Bird Ladies.
- Procedural generation of the visuals of the trees and the crabs using only semi-transparent lines and a lot of messy code.
- Prototyping of some weird visuals with the same technique. All the screenshots below showing other things than crabs and trees are bugs that I thought looked cool.
- Scaling system allowing for zooming in and out massively. It was a lot of optimisation work to have hundreds or thousands dynamic entities on the screen.
- Basic AI for the crabs, like hanging out and running away from the player character.
- Complementary colour system used to colourise the trees and the crabs.